Here all the content can help you further study an earthquake. Earthquake is one of the important disasters in Bangladesh especially very near future earthquake that might attach to Bangladesh, especially in Dhaka City is the most risk-prone area. It can cause huge disasters there.
At the end of the course, the students will be able to:
Course Content (DRE 5202):
- Historical earthquake: causes effects (primary and secondary) and recovery.
- Earthquake: Causes, characteristics, types of Earthquakes and distribution of earthquakes, seismic waves, Mechanism, prediction strategy, warning, and planning.
- Details of Faults and behavior of faults, Elastic rebound theory.
- Response mechanism of building to the earthquake.
- Global earthquake zones, nature and planning and mitigation policies of the earthquake, Earthquake preparedness, response, and recovery.
- Mitigation of hazardous effects of the earthquake on the built environment, GRS (geosynthetic reinforced structures).
- Landslides and measurement of earthquake magnitude.
- Survey of natural hazards and the disasters they cause, with emphasis on geological hazards in Bangladesh.
- Foundations in basic geological hazards related to science, suitable for use in teaching, communications, policy, and emergency management careers.
- Seismic hazard analysis: Identification and evaluation of earthquake sources, deterministic and probabilistic seismic hazard analysis.
- Community-Based Earthquake Management in Bangladesh
- Introduction of seismology, and earthquakes, seismic hazard analysis, wave propagation in an elastic medium, dynamic soil properties, strong ground motions, ground response analysis, local side effects, and design ground motions, seismic stability of slopes and embankments, slope disaster caused by the earthquake, seismic lateral pressure, mechanism of soil liquefaction, assessment of liquefaction potential, liquefaction-induced ground displacements, the response of pile foundation in the liquefied ground, a countermeasure against soil liquefaction.
List of Class Lectures: Course DRE 5202
Lecture 3: What to do in an earthquake: All-in-1 Guide
Lecture 4: Earthquake in Bangladesh: Causes, Impacts